Head of Security
- Montreal or remote within North American time zones
- Start date:
About your team
The head of Security is part of the development team, which maintains and iterates on Braindate and other emerging platforms. S/he works closely with the product team to ensure the stability and security of the infrastructure. The team works hard to create a development culture that is dependable, scalable and agile while maintaining high quality code by going through regular code reviews.
Your team’s rituals and ways of working together
e180’s development team encourages autonomy, while making sure good communication is a key component of the team work. We use the Scrum methodology to plan sprints and deliver improvements at a steady flow.
We already have a decent deployment process but we are always looking for improvements in our workflow.
We are dedicated to writing code that is documented, tested, and is easily readable by every developer. Each code-change is submitted through a pull request that must be approved by a reviewer. This gives a great opportunity to review the code we write and share insights on the way we work.
We conduct regular optimization audits (run speed tests to identify bottlenecks and solve them) and meet weekly for cross-team code review so that we are continually learning from the diverse talent on the team.
The types of problems you’ll be solving
Our core project, Braindate, is at a good maturity stage. In the months to come, multiple challenges will have to be tackled: opening the platform to always more users, improving our virtual solution, and providing our customers with more data to make the right decisions. To do so, we need to make sure our team and company follows the best practices in terms of privacy and data security.
As the head of Security, you will be the guardian of e180 Infosec program. This includes:
- Leading the security strategy governing the applications and cloud-based platform infrastructure.
- Revise existing policies and make sure they are up-to-par we our clients expectations.
- Define and own guidance, alerts and security as code deployments to provide protection from malicious traffic, vulnerabilities and other attack vectors.
- Complete our customers security questionnaires and help sales and experience team reassure our customers that all their needs are satisfied.
- Own the management and remediation of identified security flaws within our development platforms.
- Build and maintain monitoring, auditing, and reporting frameworks that produce artifacts that support security and compliance needs.
- Architect procedures to automate security tasks which seamlessly integrate into code builds and deployments.
- Create and maintain documentation for security systems to customers needs.
- Research security industry trends and best practices to share with the organization through presentations and training sessions.
What we are looking for:
- Some relevant experience in modern infosec space.
- Expert level understanding of security best practices for client-server product architectures for cloud-based deployments.
What we don’t necessarily expect you to master but will probably be handy:
- Experience designing processes around DevSecOps tools.
- Experience with cloud-based security management/IDS/IPS/SIEM tools (WAF, Inspector, GuardDuty, Twistlock, Splunk, Dome9, AlienVault, AlertLogic, Fortinet, Threat Stack, Sumologic, Imperva etc).
- Knowledge of network based, system level, and application layer attacks and mitigation methods.
- Experience extracting security data from SIEM solutions, audit logs.
- Strong programming/scripting knowledge – Go, Python, Bash, etc.
Having a CS degree is not a requirement: we believe people learn during their whole life and there is no reason coding is an exception. What is important is what you can do, not how you learned it.
e180 was founded as a social enterprise, and today, e180 is a certified (and award-winning!) B Corporation. This means that we’ve made a public commitment to leveraging our business to make a measurable difference in the world. Our flagship product, Braindate, has evolved over the years, but our mission remains the same: to transform the way that humans learn.
Why you’ll love it here:
We are value-driven.
Both our work and our company culture are rooted in a set of key beliefs and commitments that we came up with and revisit together. These values influence everything from our decision-making process to the ways in which we celebrate one another.
Our team’s well-being and growth is a top priority.
We designed our environment to prioritize team happiness and health—from our rituals (like our monthly gatherings, regular celebrations, and bi-annual company-wide retreats) to our space (a bright, plant-filled office in the heart of Montreal’s Mile End) to the healthcare that we offer to all employees.
You’ll get to learn.
Each team member gets to choose a personal Learning Quest to pursue. You’ll receive a budget, personal support, and ample time (100 hours a year) to explore your Quest.
You’re in charge of your time—and where you spend it.
We encourage you to self-manage your work schedule to best accommodate your life and commitments. While we have made office space available to our employees in Montreal, you can also choose to work 100% remotely.
You’ll get to travel.
Once it is safe to travel again, every member of our team will have the opportunity to travel to support—and experience!—Braindate productions all over the world.
Our commitment to diversity means propelling it. As a certified B Corporation in the world of technology, we believe that it’s our responsibility to actively foster a welcoming environment for those who might not feel included or represented elsewhere in this sector. As such, we strongly encourage applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, national origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, and abilities to apply.