Python/Django Devops Engineer
Your e180 team:
At e180, one of our core values is learning (“Be a knowledge gardener”). We cultivate human potential by enabling our people to learn from one another. We love to create rewarding learning experiences for our employees, clients and our community and want to increase the impact of collaborative learning around the world. We have invented Braindate, our flagship product, which helps people around the world connect with each other and share their knowledge.
The product team designs technological solutions and experiences that enable and enhance self-directed and collaborative learning. While we believe technology can be magic, we don’t believe apps solve problems in and of themselves. We empathise with our users, clients, and e180 teams, in order to design and develop solutions that bring value to them. We work iteratively and course correct when needed to achieve desired outcomes, focusing on key problems to solve. We care deeply about our mission and impact, and, in the decisions we make, do our best to balance short vs long-term priorities, quality, speed, scalability… passion and reason.
About your team
DevOps engineers work with the development (‘Dev’) team which maintains and iterates on Braindate and other emerging products. The team defines best coding practices within e180 and stays up-to-date on the ever-evolving field. They work hard to create a development culture that is dependable, scalable and agile.
Your team’s rituals and ways of working together
e180’s development team is small and sometimes remote. Each member is autonomous, but communicates with the team on a daily basis. We use Scrum methodology to plan sprints and deliver improvements at a steady flow.
We are dedicated to writing code that is documented, tested, and is easily readable by every developer. Each line of code written by the Back-End team will be submitted through a pull request that must be approved by a reviewer. This gives a great opportunity to review the code we write and share insights on the way we work.
We conduct regular optimization audits (run speed tests to identify bottlenecks and solve them) and meet weekly for cross-team code review so that we are continually learning from the diverse talent on the team.
You’ll be in charge of maintaining and developing the API that sustains Braindate.com as well as the linked dashboard. Your role includes working with other developers in the team, working together to take code architecture decisions, reviewing code before deployment, as well as programming new functionalities.
In addition, your role is to ensure that our infrastructure is healthy and can properly handle the numerous users that hit the servers at the same time. And of course, this should always be done with good practices in mind: tests, documentations, etc.
Because our product is always evolving and we’re building our dashboard in parallel, there might be some punctual needs to help our Experience Team gather the right data or change the right settings manually as well. But our goal is to build all the tools to limit when this is needed.
- At least 3 years of efficient use of Python or equivalent programming experience
- Web development (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL and Redis
- Strong problem solving skills
- Good written and oral communication skills in English (French is a plus)
Some extra qualities that will set you apart:
- Experience with Django and/or Celery
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with AWS
- Good communication skills in explaining the context for a bug
- Positive attitude with a strong interest in technological innovation
You’ll have the opportunity to further your knowledge about
- Improving recommendation algorithms
- User-friendly data visualization for internal and external insights
- Your own self-directed learning goals!
e180 was founded as a social enterprise, and today, e180 is a certified (and award-winning!) B Corporation. This means that we’ve made a public commitment to leveraging our business to make a measurable difference in the world. Our flagship product, Braindate, has evolved over the years, but our mission remains the same: unlocking human greatness by helping people learn from one another.
Why you’ll love it here
We are value-driven.
Both our work and our company culture are rooted in a set of key beliefs and commitments that we came up with and revisit together. Our values influence everything from our decision-making processes to the ways in which we celebrate one another. Here are the values that drive us:
- Be a knowledge gardener:
- Share knowledge, grow through learning, and plant the seeds of human greatness.
- Inspire collaboration:
- Bring your creative brainpower and change lives. Let’s make a difference together.
- Be fearless:
- Be audacious and autonomous, trust uncertainty, forge your own path, and embrace the journey.
- Lead with love:
- Be kind to yourself and others, and create conditions where everyone can succeed through diversity, equity and inclusion.
Our team’s well-being and growth are a top priority.
We designed our environment to prioritize our team’s happiness and health—from our rituals (like our monthly game nights, regular celebrations, and bi-annual company-wide retreats) to our space (a bright, plant-filled office in the heart of Montreal’s Mile End) to the healthcare that we offer to all employees.
You’ll get to learn.
Each team member gets to choose a personal Learning Quest to pursue. You’ll receive a budget, personal support, and ample time (100 hours a year) to explore your Quest.
You’re in charge of your time—and where you spend it.
We encourage you to self-manage your work schedule to best accommodate your life and commitments. Remote work is also an option for all team members.
You’ll get to travel.
Paris, Doha, Berlin – we’ve activated Braindate at iconic events all over the world. Once it’s safe, our team will have the opportunity to travel to support and experience the impact of Braindate productions across the globe.
The great benefits that set us apart:
e180 wants to offer the best conditions, the best environment, the best benefits in addition to the salary. While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits to all our full-time employees:
- Unmeasured Vacation: We encourage a good work-life balance. We offer a vacation policy that allows you to be away when you need it and independently manage the impact your absence may have on your team, clients, projects and company goals.
- Insurance: Health care benefits are available to all employees.
- We also provide a health management account of $ 500 / year which could be allocated for what you want (massage, dental, gym, etc.)
- Potential annual bonuses based on business results;
- Remote workspace improvement bonus;
- Learn Quest Program ($1000);
- Benefits programs:
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Bonus;
- Home Internet Connection Bonus;
- Public transit/bixi bonus (to come)
- Financing programs:
- Computer Purchase;
- Remote workspace improvement;
- RRSP Collective
Our commitment to diversity means propelling it. As a certified B Corporation in the world of technology, we believe that it’s our responsibility to actively foster a welcoming environment for those who might not feel included or represented elsewhere in this sector. As such, we strongly encourage applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, national origins, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, and abilities to apply.